Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics occupies an old building which was founded in 1870. Originally the building was built for the Ordinary Raad van Justitie Binnen Het Casteel Batavia (Council of Justice at Batavia Castle). 1944 used by the army KNIL, and subsequently by the TNI. In 1973-1976 used as the Office of the Mayor of West Jakarta, and has also utilized by the Government of DKI Jakarta as the office of the Museum and History. In 1976 the old building was inaugurated as Jakarta Arts Institute and in 1990 the Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics.
The building was built on January 12, 1870 was originally used by the Government of the Netherlands East Indies to the Office of the Council of Justice in Fort Batavia (Ordinary Raad van Justitie Binnen Het Kasteel Batavia). When the Japanese occupation and the struggle for independence around 1944, the place was used by the army KNIL and further to the TNI military barracks.
On January 10, 1972, the buildings with eight the large pole in front of that building becomes the historic building was used as well as the cultural heritage is protected. Then in 1973-1976, the building was used for West Jakarta Mayor Office and then it was inaugurated by the President (at that time) Soeharto as the Jakarta Arts Institute. In 1990 the building was eventually used as the Museum of Fine Arts and Ceramics treated by the Department of Culture and Museum of Jakarta.
- National Museum
The most complete collection museum in Indonesia. Total collection recorded 140.00 units, which contain ancient statues, inscription, ceramic, textile, historical relic and categorized by ethnography. The collection of Indonesian ceramics & etnography in this museum was the largetst and the most comprehensinve in the world.
- Textile Museum
Jakarta Textile Museum was established in 1976 as a result the concerted efforts, spearheaded by the Governor of Jakarta at the time, Ali Sadikin. It was established in honor of Mrs. Tien Soeharto (wife of President Soeharto), which was inaugurated on June 28, 1976. In the mid-1970s era, the use of textiles, understanding the use and the quantity and quality of production very clearly declined. Some even become very rare. This has motivated some of the leading citizens of Jakarta to set up an institution dedicated to the preservation and study of Indonesian textiles.
- Taman Prasasti Museum
The museum was established on a old cemetery called Kebon Jahe Kober that has been functioned since 1795. During VOC’s occupation, this cemetery was specially provided for the noble Dutch persons and prominent officers. Later on, the cemetery was dedicated for the common Christians. The 18th cemetery has various collections of tombstones from 16th and 17th centuries.