Vihara Dharma Bhakti

Located in Glodok, Jakarta’s Chinatown, Vihara Dharma Bhakti was built by a Chinese captain Oei Tjhie in 1755 to replace a previously demolished Buddhist temple that dated back to 1650. It was originally named Jin de Yuan (golden wisdom) but later its named was changed to the Indonesian translation Vihara Dharma Bhakti. Two pearl-eating dragons top the roof of the predominately red temple, while its interior features ancient bells and drums. Open to visitors from 5am–7pm, it draws followers of both Confucianism and Taoism. The best time to take photographs of the building is in the morning, around 9–10am, when sunlight bursts down into the courtyard to create beautiful beams cutting through the thick incense.

See Map