Jakarta Textile Museum was established in 1976 as a result the concerted efforts, spearheaded by the Governor of Jakarta at the time, Ali Sadikin. It was established in honor of Mrs. Tien Soeharto (wife of President Soeharto), which was inaugurated on June 28, 1976. In the mid-1970s era, the use of textiles, understanding the use and the quantity and quality of production very clearly declined. Some even become very rare. This has motivated some of the leading citizens of Jakarta to set up an institution dedicated to the preservation and study of Indonesian textiles. The Association Wastraprema (Humane Society Textiles) donated the basic collection of 500 high-quality textiles. The Provincial Government provides accommodation a beautiful old building in the district of Tanah Abang, Jakarta.
In 1947 the property is owned by Lie Sion Pin leased to the Ministry of Social Affairs which is converted into an institution for the parents. In 1962 the property was acquired by the Ministry of Social Affairs. Originally used as an office, it turned into a hostel employee in 1966. Finally, in 1975, was officially handed over to the Government of DKI Jakarta Kota by the Minister of Social Affairs. Governor Ali Sadikin decided that the need to preserve traditional Indonesian textiles is greater than the city's needs for archive storage space, the building has been allocated and Textile Museum was born.
The core of the building now houses the Textile Museum was built in the early 19th century by a French and then sold to Abdul Aziz Al Mussawi Katiri Consul of Turkey in Jakarta. In 1942 the property was sold to Dr. Karel Christian Crucq and in early 1945 was used as the headquarters of the "Pioneer Youth Front" and the Civil Defence Forces in the struggle for independence was proclaimed Indonesia. For this last reason, the building is listed as a historic monument.